Wednesday, November 28, 2012

"When I think about the people in Gaua..."

Dear Family,

Another good week. I learned a lot this week. I went to Tanna. We went to Tanna to do a Zone Training. Elder Bacon + Elder Vaiho (tahiti) and their 2 districts came. We met in a small bungalows meeting room. A small room with white coral on the floor with the ocean off in the distance. We gave a training about "Area Loyalty". We talked about the small areas that the Lord has trusted us to look after. We talked about how many people were in their areas and how many were called of God with authority to preach the full gospel, only 2 out of all the thousands of people in each missionary area. We talked about what Christ did when he went into an area. He would minister to people one by one and look for those in need, suffering, sin etc. We talked about what Christ would do if he came to the area we are serving in currently. It was thought provoking. We tried to shift the focus of the missionaries away from themselves and towards: THE PEOPLE. We shared the story of President Gordon B. Hinckley on his mission when his father wrote to him "Forget yourself and go to work", it's become our slogan. Some missionaries on Tanna have been there for a long time. I told them of my experience in Gaua. I told them of a time when I had been there for a long time and had thoughts of wanting to be out or go to a new area. I told them some day they will ache to go back to these beloved areas and people. I started a sentence saying, "When I think about the people in Gaua........" and I couldn't say a word. I was overcome with strong emotion. I explained how I might never have a chance to see my friends/converts again. That gave a strong message to the missionaries there. It made them grateful for the great people they are with. That was a really good experience for me. It really surprised me as well. Also about Gaua ,President Brewer has been there all this weekend! Gaua is incredible right now. The re-organised the branch and put some of my converts in the branch presidency and other callings. They'll be putting 2 more missionaries on Gaua because of the much work to be done. Ok ,so as far as Thanksgiving. We did celebrate! Elder Watch and I went with Elder Potrie (born canada/ lives in Cali) and Elder Harmon (UT) to a restaraunt called The War Horse. We payed a lot of money to eat a few racks barbeque of ribs/chicken/onion rings/and fries. It was so good! The place is decorated american style. State license plates and cowboy stuff all over. So some bad news. My beloved area Paunganisu/Nguna will be given to 2 different elders at the next transfer in a few weeks :(. They so deserve it though. They'll have lots of work and it's much needed. Here we go Erakor! We did find some epic investigators this week though. Actually we didn't do a thing They came/ were given to us. John and Meri in Paunganisu. We were teaching their neighbors and they just came and joined. The next time we came we stopped the truck we had just gotten out and they put out their leaf woven mats and were calling us over to their kitchen. We sat and had a great lesson together. We taught about our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ/Families. I love teaching those things. Some people think of God as some distant man or spirit that is so unreachable. I made an example with his own son and the feelings he had about him. I love helping people realize that God is loving and close to us. Also, our Elders quorum president, Charles is the man. He got back from the temple last year. He had  been trying to help his family receive the Gospel. All 8 of his siblings are a long ways away. Especially his oldest brother, Maksai. We met him yesterday night. We were supposed to have taught him during the day but he wasn't there. Later that night we had a dinner appointment. It was with Norton and Ainez. Also Henry Anderson (my companion from blacksands home already was there). Maksai and his wife jumped on a bus and came all the way to tell us sorry they missed the appointement. Norton invited them in to eat and we chatted. Every one in the room was an RM or us 2 currently on the mission haha. We had lots of support as they encouraged and explained things to them. Maksai seems awesome. He's a funny guy. He's a fisherman and totally looked the part with his beanie. He and his wife were there. He said he wants to change his life now and for good. He said he's sick of arguing all the time and losing his money on alcohol, kava, and tobacco. He is so convicted on changing. He asked if we'd be coming in every day. I pray that he's sincere. I know the Gospel will help him and his wife and 2 girls. We'll teach him on Wednesday. Anyways, that it! Love you all



Elder Sears

No comments:

Post a Comment